Thursday, October 19, 2017

Internship and Peace Journalism

Hello Journalism friends,

Thanks for coming back. This week, I will be talking a bit about my internship at a small publishing house that starts in January 2018... and the new module "Peace Journalism".

I think peace journalism is a very important journalistic genre that more journalists should focus on in the future. Peace journalism has a long history, rightfully so. As part of social and christian peace movements, it started to emerge in the early 19th century. Conflict reporting has been a long-term problem. Peace journalism tries to shed some light on this issue by analyzing structural and cultural causes of violence. The goal is to avoid violence as much as possible using a specific style of reporting about a problem/issue with regards to violence. Yes, I think this genre is VERY important to study. So I'm on it!

My internship is going to be 6 months long at a local small publishing house. I'm not going to name it here, but it's responsible for our small local paper here in my hometown. Luckily, my uncle knows someone who works there and was able to pass along my curriculum vitae. I call myself a lucky girl! I will get a chance of a lifetime. So this is going to start in early January of next year until about June/July. I hope I will learn a lot there! Not just making coffee (although I'm very well capable of making coffee by now).

Next week I will hopefully talk a bit more about peace journalism and how it affects people's lives.

Next for reading my blog! Come back next week.
Katy

No comments:

Post a Comment